Why stock newspapers and magazines?
Newspapers and magazines provide a major revenue stream within a store across a high-volume category. Newspapers and magazines are powerful footfall drivers and provide a major revenue stream within a store across a high-volume category. An average magazine shopper spends £3 on other products while in-store and shops more frequently.
Stocking newspapers and magazines is very low-risk, as the majority are available on a sale-or-return basis.
Opening an account can take around four weeks, but the process can be fast-tracked
How to open an account
Stage 1: Receive a quote
1. Visit www.mynewsaccount.co.uk
2. Click on the Open Account tab at the top of the screen.
3. Complete the application in full. All fields marked * are mandatory.
(Your quote will include your weekly delivery charge and we will require a deposit before commencing supplies. The deposit will be returned after a period of time.)
Important: Please ensure the contact details you provide, particularly your email address and telephone number, are the best ones for us to use for getting in touch with you during the application process.
Once you have submitted your application, the quotation you receive is valid for only 30 days. After this time, it will expire and you will need to reapply.
Within 48 working hours, you will receive an email with your quotation and instructions on how to progress your application for newspapers and magazines supply.
If you have any queries, email Central Retail Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stage 2. Proceed with your application
If you would like to proceed with your application for newspapers and magazines, you will need to refer to your original quotation email (subject header called Smiths News – Your Quotation).
- Your deposit: Your deposit will be returned to you after 48 weeks of trading, provided you comply with your payment T&Cs.
- Delivery service charge: This is applied to your invoice every week and covers delivery of your stock and a returns collection.
- Administration fee: You are required to pay a one-off administration fee of £130+VAT.
If you are happy to proceed with the application after receiving your quote, click on the link supplied in the email.
Stage 3: Applying for your news account
You will be taken to the MyNewsAccount website and asked to enter your email address and create a password. This password must be 6 characters long with at least 1 capital letter and 1 number. For example, Smiths1.
You will now be able to complete the online application.
Your trading name is either the name of your store or your registered limited company name.
If you know your store opening date, please include this as it will help us aim to get you supplied in time!
The structure of your business is also important so we can ensure we retrieve the correct paperwork from you to open your account seamlessly.
If you are using a solicitor, please submit their information.
- Please complete all information relating to business structure. If you operate as a limited company, ensure you enter your company registration number provided by Companies House. If you have a seven-digit number, put a 0 in front of it.
- Please check all the information you have provided is correct. If there are any errors, this may delay your application.
- Tick the box to confirm your acceptance of our terms and conditions.
Stage 4. Finalise your application
To complete your application, please follow the steps below:
1. Please quote your reference number from the online application on your payment and ID documents.
2. Complete your direct debit mandate then contact CreditControl@smithsnews.co.uk for your deposit payment.
3. Provide certified ID and send it to: email@example.com
Once we have received the requested information (listed above) we will proceed with your application and take the following next steps:
- We will contact you with a unique reference number (URN).
- We will email you a survey to retrieve key information from you prior to activating your account.
- On receipt of the survey, we will email you to confirm a start date for receiving your newspaper and magazine supplies.
- You will receive your deliveries on an agreed date. If you have any queries, please email Central Retail Services at firstname.lastname@example.org